Many of the readings for this
section discussed depression in adolescents. This is a hot topic within
our country as rates of depression are rapidly increasing. While it is natural
for teens to experience emotional changes there are important behavioral signs
that can help a parent discern whether their child has a more serious
problem. I was interested to read on Helpguide.org that depression in teens
may manifest in various ways besides sadness. In fact, for many
adolescents irritability, aggression, and rage are common warning signs of
possible depression. These changes in behavior must be long lasting and
out of character for the teen in order to be considered a red flag.
Parents must be careful when observing their child's adolescent development in
order to recognize differences between normal and abnormal development.
There are many treatment options for teens struggling with depression. I
must admit that I was disturbed reading about prescribing antidepressants to
children as young as six. Medications may be necessary in some cases but
it is imperative that all possible outcomes and side effects be
discussed. I am a firm believer that medication should always go hand in
hand with counseling, especially in children and teens. Adolescents are
experiencing major changes which could possibly be intensified and complicated
by medication. They need an adult to walk with them through the important
adjustment to medication. I hope that prescribing medication will remain
a last resort for parents with depressed teens. Some antidepressants have
been linked with increased suicidal thoughts. It is also important to
remember that adolescent brains are still developing so the full effect of some
of these newer medications is not fully understood. I found a few helpful
links from various hospitals and medical schools that provide valuable
information on both sides of the antidepressant argument. I have listed
them below:
The Youth in Foster Care reading particularly intrigued me. The
foster care system in our country is full of flaws, which can affect how
students perform in school and even how they act in social situations. It
was disturbing to read what happens to foster care children as they
"age-out" of the program. Unfortunately, most foster children
do not receive support once released from the system. Also, many of those
children do not have a high school diploma making it even harder on them when
they are first on their own. Reading about foster care reminded me that I
will have a diverse group of students with many different life
experiences. After reading, I hope that I will be more sensitive to the
various living situations my students could be experiencing. I found some
interesting articles discussing the process of "aging out" of the
foster care system and have shared the links below:
Hey, Lauren. I told you the other day, and I'll say it again. I love your posts. I think there's a lot of disturbing truths such as the depression, anti-depressant for young children, and the bleak future for come foster children who "age-out." We all have to face those stuff things; I appreciate your links for further information.
ReplyDeleteHey Lauren, I enjoyed the websites that you posted. I never knew there was sooo much medication involved with depression (as opposed to the commercials i see haha).
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you that medication should be a last resort type thing for depression, especially with adolescents. We use medications too much in general for a "quick fix" instead of getting to the root of the problem. I appreciate the links showing both arguments for and against it...but I still tend to be against it for adolescents.
ReplyDeleteLauren, I am impressed with the way you manage to pinpoint and clarify the most crucial aspects of our readings. You really connect all the dots in this post. I also appreciate your thoughts on antidepressant usage. It is definitely a complicated issue, but I wholeheartedly agree with your reservations.
ReplyDeleteI like your take on medication and kids. Throughout that reading I was constantly thinking how much parents, and some teachers, look too much toward the QUICK fix instead of the RIGHT fix. Especially when, like you said, kids brains are still developing. There are a ton of natural chemicals floating around causing all kinds of problems in a kids head. Somehow pumping them with manufactured chemicals doesn't seem like the best option.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Way too much pink over here
Lauren, great post! I liked your discussion of antidepressants and appreciated the links you posted.
ReplyDelete